Saturday, June 5, 2010

Knock On Wood

Most of you who have been around me and do not know a whole lot about Freidreich’s ataxia probably think that it is something that only affects your walking. However, it affects all of your coordination (arms too).
I have heard stories of some people around my age that have a lot of trouble doing their eyeliner and some that have problems with things such as ketchup bottles.
(Knock on Wood) I do not have these problems to the same affect. My coordination in my arms is still pretty good. Maybe it is because I have always been a computer geek, I have always been an avid video game player, and I have always done tedious things with my hand such as cross-stitch and making jewelry.
If you know me, I am sure you have noticed my eyeliner. It is never perfect, never the same on both eyes, and my right eye is usually a wider width of black than my left, but I do it. Every day (almost).
I have trouble cutting meat… I feel like a little girl always asking for people to cut my steak or chicken or whatever. When I am in a restaurant, I try not to order things that need cutting, but when I do, I embarrass easily by having to ask my Dad, Mom, Boyfriend, or whoever to cut my food.
I have not yet had any trouble with condiments. I put my own mustard on my hotdogs and ketchup on my meatloaf, and I spoon my own sour cream on everything else (haha, I love my sour cream).
I type pretty fast, but not as fast as most computer people. I hit wrong keys lots, especially on laptops, and have to go back and fix it and I can’t type the way I was taught in high school and college… “home keys”
I count money slow, it’s the hand coordination. I could never work in a bank or running a register in a busy store. I feel bad now sometimes working in my mom’s store because sometimes people are in a hurry and I move slow.
I cannot do anything fast. I read slow, count money slow, write slow and sloppy, bag stuff slow, walk slow, snap my fingers slow, everything. Well, ok I lied. I drive kinda fast sometimes. LOL
I CAN still do my eyeliner, work ketchup bottles ;), put in my earrings, work jewelry clasps, play video games (wii, nintendo ds, play station, xbox360), drive, ride escalators, swim, etc. if I am sitting on my butt =)

No comments:

Post a Comment